Come, Holy Spirit

Replace the tension within us with a holy relaxation. Replace the turbulence within us with a sacred calm. Replace the anxiety within us with a quiet confidence. Replace the fear within us with a strong faith. Replace the bitterness within us with the sweetness of grace. Replace the darkness within us with a gentle light. Replace the coldness within us with a loving warmth. Replace the winter within us with Thy spring. Straighten our crookedness, fill our emptiness, dull the edge of our pride, sharpen our humility, light the fires of our love, quench the flames of lust. Let us see ourselves as Thous seest us, that we may see Thee as Thou hast promised, and be blessed according to Thy word: Blessed are the pure of heart, for the shall see God. (Damien-Dutton Society for Leprosy Aid, Inc. 616 Bedford Ave, Bellmore, NY 11710)

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Keeping the Faith

Well, life sure likes to increase my indigestion!  Honestly.

Okay, God.  You wouldn't call me to something if You weren't going to be with me every step of the way.  I know I am not alone, and, I thank You.  Thank you, Lord, for the knowledge that I have concerning Mother Mary - that I can literally feel her presence with me.  And, thank you for the many friends I have in this life who so willingly pray for me and my family.  What would we do without each other, Lord?

My oldest son doesn't want to go to Mass any longer.  Not because he doesn't believe in God.  That, in itself, is good news and gives us great reason for hope!  However, he said to me that he doesn't really get anything out of the Mass (not even in the Eucharist - which shocks and saddens me) except the homilies.  He does enjoy Father Jon's homilies and the morality in them.

I remember when I was 18.  I thought it was the magic age of "I can do whatever I want."  I forgot there were going to be consequences.  I mean, I knew there was likely to be, but as with so many youngsters, I didn't really care nor pay attention to that.  I wanted what I wanted right now.  (I still struggle with that credit card thing, but it's pretty much the same thing:  use up the credit, but you will have to pay - and most of the time it hurts like heck to do so!).  Hopefully, life teaches you lessons that you'll learn from - and become a better person for it.

We are allowing him to make his mistakes.  Only to an extent, of course, as he lives under our roof and he relies on us for everything at this point.  But, I can't force myself to force him to attend.  He is baptized and Confirmed Catholic - so "he knows" . . . . but the world with all it's noise and distractions mixed with his youth is blinding him.  Maybe for a time, maybe for a long time.  But, rather than agonize over it (and risk losing my own Faith and hope), I choose LOVE.  Hope, Pray, Love and don't worry.  God has control and He has a plan.  I trust in that plan.

Jesus, thank you for these children of ours.  Our vocation is to see our children inherit the Kingdom.  That's really the only plan.  Help me to be a stepping stone and not a stumbling block.  Help me to be the light in the world that you want to be seen.

Jesus, I trust in You.

5 comments:

  1. Have you read Dr. Ray's books? They have helped me tremendously with my children. My oldest does not go, I know, when he is at school, but everyone goes at home. Your heart doesn't have to be in it. Is your heart in your shower or doing the dishes? But we do it because we do it with our family. Prayers for you and your son as you navigate this new rocky road. Some day you'll have a knee replacement because you've worn them out praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...just being honost...but this would really freak me out.
    I have always and will continue to have a special place for those who are lost sheep....I was one of them and thankfuls someones prayers brought me home.

    Continue to love him and hopefully talk to him and then give him a nuggy nuggy nuggy on his head from christine. Ya know where you grab them and rub them on the top of their heads with your knuckles...or buy him an ice cream cone from me...he might like that better. Men and food...always wins them over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your son, and for you. As you said, it may take awhile, but I'm betting he will be back at Mass some day. We've been through this, too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I'm not of your faith but I am just as concerned with the noise of the world and how it is drawing away the youth from the devine nature they could be embracing. I too was distracted when I was younger and oh, how I wish that I had gotten the understanding of Christ that I have now earlier in my life.

    I hope, I pray, and I love the youth for the world in which they have to grow up. My example is the only thing I can give to them other than my prayers. I think that the more I can be involved with them, the more I can influence them for good. It is good to have your son living with you, at least your example of goodness can be seen by him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so behind on reading...
    I have to say, I know my oldest goes to Mass on Sundays when he's at college BECAUSE HE HAS TO. He has a partial scholarship that requires him to play guitar or bass at Mass each weekend (sometimes even two Masses). Would he go if it were not his job? Probably not...he does go when he's home because it's just how things roll in our house.

    But it's not a question of what your son "gets" out of Mass. You don't go there to "get" something. You go there to give, to praise and to pray as part of a community. (My kids would rather serve or sing/play than just sit in the pews. Maybe he needs something to DO!)

    The fact that he listens to and appreciates the homilies is encouraging, and a compliment to your priest!

    My prayers are with your family; I hope that he will come to change his mind and heart on this issue and join you again at Mass on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete